A Brief History

 

Since its inception in the 1940’s, the La Cañada Youth was built specifically to give service to the kids and has now expanded to include all age groups in the local community.  The original mission was to give service through volunteers, to promote, foster and nurture volunteers, to rely on and to thrive on the work of those volunteers. 
 
The Center invested heavily in volunteers for providing time and expertise, and the community has reaped the benefit of those investments many times over.  As a result the Center has a 60 year history of community service for education, cultural and recreational programs. 
 
Over the years, the Youth House evolved to the Roger Barkley Community Center and is now known as the Community Center of La Cañada Flintridge. 

 

Check out this fantastic short film that was made to celebrate the Community Center's anniversary in 2009. It's amazing to see our community (and the center) in 1949! The more things change, the more they stay the same...